Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 10 06 11:48 AM

Tags : :

Gee, can we be any more vague!!! fordaspire/curse.gif

Yep, my 97 just threw that code, so I was wondering...

What are the odds that cleaning the EGR valve will fix the problem, or am I most likely going to have to pull the intake apart and clean the passages also?

I REALLY don't want to have to pull the intake!!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Only Chip'd... for now... )
97 Ford Aspire (Getting 35 mpg (f'ng Ethenol))
84 F250 Dually Centurion Conversion w/6.9L IDI Diesel (for now)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 10 06 12:41 PM

that sucks ass man, i dont know the answer tho, but hopefully ull get an answer soon

R.I.P DAVID JAMES HAYEK (DJ-xpnsyd), Owner of www.fordfestiva.com

Charles

2007 Ford Taurus, Daily Driver, 19-21 MPG AVG
1976 Chevy C20 Pickup. the toy
1951 Ford Deluxe, my baby, being rebuild

user posted image

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
My Car Club

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 10 06 5:42 PM

egr malfunction???

on my truck the egr valve wasn't in the intake....

two bolts and 10 min 45 bucks and she was done...

are you shure about it being in the intake..?

and cleaning it wont do sshit.. they get all screwy and stay open...

alot of times clearing the computer can help... BUT most likely going down the road you will have the same problem...

very commen on fords...

replace it

Quote    Reply   

turboren

Awesome Member

#3 [url]

Oct 10 06 11:49 PM

I haven't taken a good look, but it will at least have some passage to the intake, if it's not on the intake itself. Sometimes they get really carboned up, and the passages get blocked, eventually causing the valve to stick open and cause a crappy idle. Other times, the diaphragm breaks, or a vacuum line comes loose or breaks. Either way, the result is usually a crappy idle and may decrease gas mileage.

You can probably just replace the valve and might be able to clean the passages from the outside. If not, as long as the passages aren't significantly blocked, you should be ok.

Ren

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Oct 11 06 6:56 AM

Sadly, both the exhaust "input" to the EGR valve and the "output" of the EGR goes through the intake manifold on the 1.3L. The EGR valve bolts right to the side of the intake manifold and doesn’t have the "usual" exhaust tube feeding it.

ERG Valve
EGR Valve Gasket

Oh, and it costs $125.

The car runs great, no missing, smooth idle, etc., just the CE light. I'm guessing the valve isn't opening enough and the EGR position sensor on the top of the vacuum canister is telling the EEC to throw the P0400 code.

I guess I'll pull the EGR and take a look at it, and go from there. But I know with 145K miles on it, I'm sure the passages are pretty carboned up. I tested it per the manual (pulling vacuum with the engine running) and it tested ok (the car stumbled and almost died), so there are some more things I need to test.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 16 06 7:14 AM

Woohoo!! Dodged a bullet on this one! fordaspire/banana.gif

Since I had no indications of a bad EGR valve, I sort of suspected that the "error" that was being thrown was actually a "false positive" and not really a malfunctioning EGR system. The 97 EGR system (don't know about the earlier ones) has two small vacuum fitting on the valve. One is for the vacuum diaphragm that opens the valve when vacuum is supplied, and the other fitting goes to a "boost sensor" mounted on the firewall.

This "boost sensor" basically lets the EEC know if there is actually any EGR flow whereas the position sensor on top of the EGR valve lets the EEC know if there is actual movement of the valve.

Sure enough, the small fitting to the "boost sensor" was clogged, so as far as the EEC was concerned, there was no EGR flow and thus the P0400 code. I unclogged the fitting, cleaned the valve, and no codes after 200 miles.

I like repairs that don't cost any money!!! fordaspire/chili.gif

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help