Remove this ad

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

Lead

Jan 8 07 6:16 PM

Tags : :

Ok so I have seen so many posts about people despising the weak link in the drive train of the aspire. Well I am just about finished with a solution! Ever wondered about putting a 323/tracer g series transmission in your aspire? Well I did just that, without welding!! Any one interested in me posting a how to?

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 8 07 6:52 PM

i would post it regardless man, if it helps even 1 person it will help everyone, i may consider this if i ever do a bpt swap lol, convert to manual and stuff, id rather have a stick but i dunno lol

R.I.P DAVID JAMES HAYEK (DJ-xpnsyd), Owner of www.fordfestiva.com

Charles

2007 Ford Taurus, Daily Driver, 19-21 MPG AVG
1976 Chevy C20 Pickup. the toy
1951 Ford Deluxe, my baby, being rebuild

user posted image

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
My Car Club

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#4 [url]

Jan 9 07 1:09 PM

ok so I will first start with the things you will need from the donor 323/tracer.

Backing plate (behind the flywheel)
flywheel
clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing
both halfshafts
starter (ours will prolly work but mine was shot anyways)
shifterlinkage (might wanna just grab the whole shifter assembly)

the best part about this swap is that you don't need to find that stinkin intermediate shaft that the gm25r has. The half shafts are a must because the input into the tranny is a larger diameter than the stock ones, but that just means it will handle more hp!! you cannot use the stock aspire clutch because the input shaft on the tranny itself is larger. you may be able to use the stock flywheel, but I believe the mating surfaces don't match up, so why put it all together and then realize it won't work right?

I will post later this week my pics of it installed and the tranny mounts I made.

1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#5 [url]

Jan 9 07 4:38 PM

I was able to get it in there without any denting of the frame at all. I installed it all with out removing the engine.

First find the 323/tracer stuff, I would get all of the stuff on the list before doing anything else.

Next thing is to remove the old tranny. You should be able to figure it out, if not maybe the swap should be done by someone else.

Here is the tricky part, when installing the backing plate flywheel, clutch and all make sure you use an alignment tool, or else it will take forever to get it right (trust me I tried).

I jacked the tranny up into place the first few times I did it, but in the end I just ended up going under it and putting it in by pushing it up in there. The transmission will bolt up perfectly IF the shaft splines are seated correctly, you will know if they aren't. The tranny sits real close to the steering rack, but there is space.

Then jack the engine/transmission assembly up so that it sits like it should level wise. I had all of the mounting brackets un bolted from the transmission before I put it in the car. Now bolt the transmission crossmember into place with the mounts attached to it.

I will post the next part tomorrow once I can get some good pics of the mounting part of the swap.

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#6 [url]

Jan 10 07 11:00 PM

It LIVES!!! fordaspire/chili.gif fordaspire/chili.gif fordaspire/chili.gif finally it lives and moves under its own power!!

I am going to have to wait ill saturday when I have access to highspeed internet to upload pics of the swap and mounts, oh and the 323/tracer starter HAS to be the one you use. you will see why when I post the pics saturday.

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

festivagt

Executive Member

#8 [url]

Jan 12 07 1:22 AM

With a VERY FEW exceptions to the rule, you will have to use the flywheel,clutch and starter that is original equipment for the transmission your INSTALLING. So if your installing a G series trans, you have to use the g series flywheel, clutch and starter. This applies to ALL BRANDS not just Mazda's/Ford's. Halfshafts are a world thier own. Mixing and matching inner and outer joints with the shafts can net a part that will work - sometimes yielding more or less power handling abilities. But hey, enough on that - Get the pics up so everyone can revel in your work!!
HENRY

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#9 [url]

Jan 13 07 4:24 PM

Drum Roll Please!!

here is the tranny bolted up, notice the closeness to the steering rack
user posted image

Here is the frame clearence
user posted image

These pics are the cutting I had to do the stock aspire radiator side mounting bracket (I moved the fan out of the way to install this)
user posted image

I had to trim because the bracket will hit the fan if not trimmed
user posted image

once I bolted the bracket on (usung the first set of holes inside of the u) I measured the length that was needed to reach the mount with the engine setting level. I cut these to thength and drilled holes, the material was quarter inch angle steel (hot worked 1040) I cut the ears off so that they go over the mount
user posted image

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#10 [url]

Jan 13 07 4:26 PM

Here is the mount all assembled
user posted image
(the length difference was a mistake on my part)

Here is a shot of the bushing I used to keep the mount from collapsing
user posted image

These are pics of the rear mounting brackets, they too were measured with the tranny in place and cross member bolted in.

user posted image

Here is a crappy pic of it installed I had to go to college so I can't get better ones for a while
user posted image

Here is the front mount installed, note how tight it is with the fan in place
user posted image

and here is how the motor sits with it all installed
user posted image

once again I won't be able to get better pics for a while because I am two hours away from the car at college, but I will answer any questions that you may have.

enjoy!

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help