Remove this ad

Lead

May 8 08 9:31 PM

Tags : :

Code reader is showing code P0470: EGR Boost Sensor
On http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliabil...spire&trimid=-1 , they say "An common problem on this vehicle is a restriction of the port for the EGR Boost Sensor .... The cost to clean the fitting for the EGR Boost Sensor does not involve any parts and labor is estimated at $32.50."

But I can't find any reference anywhere how to clean the boost sensor.

Anyone?

Also, apparently this part is not available from Ford anymore if I need to replace it? What am I supposed to do, junk my car?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#2 [url]

May 10 08 12:52 PM

After you unplug the connector, Just unbolt the egr valve (2-10mm bolts I believe). Should take about 2 mins. total, then when you have a look at it, you'll see the gunk. I like to use this new stuff I found at walmart, very cheap to use, walmart brand spray brake degreaser. It drys fast and clean, especially great on the aluminum head, valve cover, thermostat housing, Intake mani, etc. I like to use it around there with the engine warm to hot, very effective. It comes in a blue can. Once you get the egr off, get the larger crud off first with a little screw driver, then go to work with the spray. Then clean out the hole on the manifold with a screw driver. IMO

The precision is the religion for me!

Quote    Reply   

cyrus

Awesome Member

#3 [url]

May 10 08 1:38 PM

hey can one of you guys gimme a pic of the egr? i've heard of it. dont know much of the function other than emissions... dont know exactly what it is either. ive got an idea but not sure. i thought it was the tube thing going in on the left of the valve cover...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 11 08 9:11 AM

Sure, here is a picture of one new....
user posted image

Here is a pic of where it is on the car...
user posted image
It is located on the passenger side behind the valve cover off of the intake manifold.

Closer pic...
user posted image

After you remove it, clean the valve itself...but it is the ports where it is mounted that are probably clogged. Careful, that black carbon 'gunk' (that is a technical term )... gets all over everything!

XFi
-------------------

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

cyrus

Awesome Member

#5 [url]

May 11 08 1:34 PM

OHH that thing. mine was clean as a babys bottom on the old one... havent' checked this one... does that getting dirty make you get less mpg?

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#6 [url]

May 11 08 3:12 PM

yeah that will help your fuel mileage if its working properly.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help