Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 5 08 8:47 AM

Tags : :

My husband is stranded and needs to know some basic information. He needs to know where the transmission fill plug is on his 95 Ford Aspire, 5-speed manual! and he says there is a spring and ball inside one of the plugs. Also what type of oil should he put in there?

He was driving on the highway in fifth gear no problem, when he downshifted to turn a corner coming off the highway, there was a binding/shuttering in all of the gears lower than 5th gear. He limped the car to 5th gear to a friends house (2miles). And now he is stuck there.

Any advice you can give would be great!!! Hopefully he didn't blow the transmission....then i might have to kill him!! fordaspire/curse.gif
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

overburn

Executive Member

#1 [url]

Oct 5 08 10:55 AM

the 5-speed transmission is filled through the speedo gear on the back of the transmission. it unbolts with a (I think) 10mm bolt and pulls straight up. I used ATF to fill mine. it takes maybe 2.6 quarts from bone dry empty.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#2 [url]

Oct 5 08 11:02 AM

Yeah, he did kill the trans. At this point, without the oil in there, he's basicly, more or less, welding parts together in that thing. He can try adding oil at this point, on the premis that when it cools down it might loosen up somewhat. Even if he didn't destroy it completely, it's going to be damaged, and now it's just a matter of time. It's very,very hard to get parts, or even replacement transaxles for these things.
By the way, how many miles on this thing?
The place where you put the "mercon 3" ATF into it is: where the speedometer cable goes in. There is a small 10mm bolt holding the speedometer cable down to the trans. This cable would be going straight down into the trans, nearest where the steering shaft comes out of the drivers compartment. Once the 10mm bolt is removed, you have to grip the metal part of the cable housing with pliers nearest the trans, twist it back and forth a little to loosen it, as you try to pull it up and out. Once it's out, there will be a little gear on the end of about a 3 inch stalk, be carefull not to damage it. There's a mark on this stalk , but really, just fill the trans up to about an inch from the bottom of this hole. You will need: a long skinny funnel sometimes refered to as a tranmission funnel, and "mercon" style automatic transmission fluid (atf) Yes, I know it's a manual transaxle, but this it what these, and many other manual transaxles use these days, this fact is unbeknown to many people, including auto store counter help, and even certain mechanics! The total capacity of this trans is about 2.5 quarts. Good luck, and do keep us posted.

The precision is the religion for me!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 5 08 2:40 PM

You all are right on the money. About everything. I totally fried the trans. My little baby only had 119k on it and I killed her! I can't beleive how dumb I feel. But alas! I feel even worse when I get home to find my wife put our credit card on line to some da** awnser site and the awnser that I now have to PAY FOR fordaspire/angryfire.gif was more like a 2nd graders awnser on how to fix his hot wheels ..... I'm so F***** mad now. As if I was 'nt bummed enuff. WTF!

Anyway, back on topic. Any ideas where to find a rebuilt tranny? I'm about to dive into the FREE internet and find some real awnsers, like the ones you all gave me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! fordaspire/notworthy.gif fordaspire/liebe011.gif fordaspire/notworthy.gif

Quote    Reply   

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#4 [url]

Oct 5 08 3:38 PM

Are you any good with tools? Do you have tools? Would you be able to replace the trans yourself if you had another one? If you answer "no" to any of these questions, then you'll have to pay someone to find and replace the trans for serious $. If you have tools and a little talent, then you can go to a "pick-n-pull" style junk yard and pull the trans out of a junked aspire to use. Most junk yards won't let you go into the actual yard, you tell them what you need and they get it off the cars for you at a slighty higher price. Another alternative is, you find another aspire with the same features as yours, in your neighborhood. and make the best car out of the two of them. Keeping the second car as a parts car or parting it out on a site like this or eBay to get some of your money back.
But, in the mean time remember this: If you can't grow up to be a good example...then you'll have to be a horrible warning!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 5 08 3:58 PM

Yeah , I can swap the trans myself. Thats why I was asking if you guys knew where to get one. Oh, a pick a part place- WOW- You're a genious! WTF!!! You'd do well to keep your opinions to yourself. I'm looking for advice on my car, not my mouth. But, thanks just the same.

Quote    Reply   

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#6 [url]

Oct 5 08 9:10 PM

My aren't we a little testy, You kinda remind me of one of those guys in an episode of "cops" right now, who's locked in the back of the police car but yelling out the closed widow about what jerks everybody else is.
So I guess this means I won't get to be your my space pal now huh?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Executive Member

#7 [url]

Oct 5 08 10:47 PM

Considering you're a new member, I would suggest keeping your opinions to yourself.

Iceracerdude has taken apart and rebuilt a 5 speed, and replaced it. The info he was giving you was really good in that he was checking to see if you knew what you were doing first so that he wasn't telling someone how to do something that they would have no hope in completing. I'm starting to think that the answer you paid for wasn't something a 2 year old though up, but rather that you just couldn't comprehend it.

As for finding the transmission, a P n P is going to be the only place you can find one. These cars were rare to start with, there weren't tonnes of them made, and they were made as a disposable car, so not many people have spare parts. Manual transaxel's for these cars that are in good shape are few and far between.

So in the future. Please do not run your mouth when you don't know the history of a member, because 99.999% of the time the people on this site and the advise they give is in the best intentions, and is almost flawlessly helpful. This is not your typical online forum in that we actually care about each other's cars, and try to help in any way possible.

Check her out at my cardomain page

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#8 [url]

Oct 6 08 2:07 PM

fordaspire/iamwithstupid.gif word!

Where are you located? also try car-part.com they are a junkyard directory site that you can sort by closest distance or lowest price. I would suggest that if you get a chance to pull it yourself look at the trans fluid if you can and see if there is any metal shavings in it, if you see semi metallic fluid, beware.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

RideoutKSC

Awesome Member

#9 [url]

Oct 6 08 4:23 PM

I would take iceracerdude's suggestion of finding another parts car. If you could get one for a song and take the tranny out of it...you could make your money back by selling the parts on eBay or here.

Free tranny!

Have your wife help you with the swap.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 6 08 6:52 PM

How important is the auto trans fluid? I just replaced my clutch and put regular fluid in my trans. It now sounds there isn't anything in there. But, I got the car that way, so I'm not sure if I did it. If I can switch my fluid and maybe save my trans, I'll be happy.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Oct 6 08 7:50 PM

Never said the dude didn't know his stuff, but I don't need advice or insults about the way I speak. Nor do I need insults from the rest of you. This is a typical forum in that it offers advice on cars. You actually care about the cars? Why would anyone waste their time typing away if they didn't?

After all is said, I appoligize to you all for my firey temper.... I was having a bad day made worse because my wife spent good money (and comprimised my CC #) for advice equalling nothing like what you all have offered. You guys are here offering good free advice. You don't seem to be vultures preying on some guys wife who is just trying to help her husband. Some folks make me sick and too often I open my mouth about it.

Again, I'm sorry. Please don't shut me out. I still need your advice.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help