Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 31 09 9:30 PM

Tags : :

i have a 1995 ford aspire, its the base model with no a/c and no power steering, my question is simple i see that there is a cooling fan attached to the radiator but it never comes on, so i followed the wiring from the fan and it i find a round 2 wire black plug that well....plugs into nothing. my question does the Non A/C aspires use a cooling fan, or do they never have a need for it.

ive got a cooling fan but there is nowhere to plug it in, so it never comes on. thanx yall.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#1 [url]

Mar 31 09 9:36 PM

It should be plugged in, there is a plug that hangs down that is oval shaped, that would be for the factory fog lights that came on the SE aspires.

Our cars don't get hot enough to need the cooling fans unless something is broken.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 31 09 11:06 PM

The cooling fan is connected to a relay which in turn connects to the engine computer.

I did get my cooling fan to come on once, and that was on a hot day and letting the car sit and idle for a long time. Otherwise it never came on before I installed A/C.

Perhaps in hotter areas than where I live it comes on more frequently?

(With A/C this fan is turned on anytime the compressor is running. Then there is another "condenser fan" mounted to the left as well for A/C and that only comes on when the condenser gets very hot.)

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 31 09 11:26 PM

the radiator fan i have is mounted on the radiator (inside closest to the engine) on the driver side, i traced the plug off the cooling fan and it leads to nothing but a plug, 2 wire i believe its red w/black stripe, and black w/white stripe.

i dont see anywhere to plug it into, ill jump the 2 wires pos and neg tommorow to see if the fan even comes on.

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#5 [url]

Apr 1 09 9:51 AM

yikes yeah that should be plugged in. I would investigate further.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Apr 1 09 10:18 AM

In my 95 Aspire (which did not come with A/C), the connector for the fan comes from wiring behind the driver's side headlight. And the relay for it is one of 3 relays buried under the fill spout for wiper washer fluid and the engine fuse area.

The other two relays go to the headlights and the heater blower motor inside the car.

Quote    Reply   

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#9 [url]

Dec 12 10 1:17 AM

Ok assuming you don't have air conditioning and it's just the cooling fan you're dealing with, and not the condenser fan.
The wires should be like this:
The cooling fan relay is supposed to have power on a blk/wht wire from the dash fuse box when the key is in the "start" or "run" position, the (10a) fuse that's supposed to supply this power is called "engine fuse". The relay should also have power at all times on the wht/blk wire, which comes from the "btn fuse" (30a) in the engine compartment. A good test light is a must for this kind of testing, I also find a meter is very valuable as well.
Once you establish or re-establish these power sources, you will probably be able to figure out where the relay should be located, probably by tracing that wht/blk wire right to it from that under hood fuse box. That relay should be in the group of three relays, just behind the battery, probably the one closest to the shock tower.
Now the way this relay gets it's signal to operate, is the ecm supplies a ground to it on the brown wire.
The ecm of course getting it's que from a temp sensor. At that point the relay opperates and sends power through onto the yel wire which then goes right to the cooling fan motor. The way the temp sensor works is, it does nothing when the car is cold, but when the car reaches a certain temp, the sensor then supplies ground to the ecm. When everything is funtioning correctly, pulling the wire off of this sensor and simply touching it to ground will opperate the fan. Now knowing this, you have to consider that if this sensor is in fact defective by way of shorting to ground at all times, that would also make the fan run when ever the key is turned to on.
Now in order to reconstruct this circuit correctly, you'll want to follow the path I've just laid out, in the order I've laid it out for you, that was not by accident, it was by design. When you find something that is not as I've described it, you now know how it should be, correct it then move onto the next segment.
Learn to always shoot trouble in this linear fashion. good luck amf yo-yo!

The precision is the religion for me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help