Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 18 09 2:57 PM

Tags : :

Ok, I know you guys know more about the aspire than I do. Here's the problem.

I had that same P047 or P0470, whateverone said the exhause pressure sensor circuit. I cleaned all of the egr ports and valve by taking it out and it cleared the CEL. Now the CEL is back on. When I open the egr by pulling up on it by hand, the engine does not stumble or change at all. Also, when I pull off the vacuum line for the EGR pressure sensor, there is not pressure or vacuume. When I open the EGR by hand, Exhause pressure comes out of the vacuum port.

So, this means the EGR is clean, and is getting exhaust, but the port leading into the intake is plugged up.

Anyone know the best way to clear the port leding into the intake? I figured somebody has done this before, but could not find a post on it. I looked at a new upper intake gasket, is it the rectangular port that follows up on the inside next to the intake port for cylinder 1? Help me out if you guys can.
Thanks,
Joe.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 22 09 8:12 AM

What year and where are you located. On one of my two I used a combo of a small brush carb cleaner and small screwdriver. Cleaned it a little a time. The other I just made a small plate and blocked it off.

user posted image
user posted image
91 Festiva GL -auto/ac/sunroof 137k
97 Aspire SE 4dr - auto/ac/abs 122k
04 Escape XLT Sport - 108k

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#2 [url]

Dec 22 09 10:16 AM

I am guessing he's an OBDII guy, check your vacuum lines all the way on the other side of the engine bay, where they go from the solenoids to the steel lines that run across the firewall. My 96 was throwing EGR codes because one of the lines had come off over there.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 22 09 10:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a 96 and it is OBDII. I have checked all the vacuum lines all the way across and found no problems with any of them. I have pulled them off one at a time and made sure they have a good connection and flow the right way. The egr has a good vacuum motor/plunger deal. It keeps the vacuum without loosing any.
How did you go about cleaning it eric? I assume I would have to use some kind of brush or wire and carb cleaner. Does The port follow up right next to the #1 intake port. It looks like it does, but I have not had the chance to look at it since the weather has been crappy here. I did mange to pull off the Idle Air Control valve and clean him and the intake up. I could not see in the intake where the egr air comes into it.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 22 09 12:15 PM

for me i just took the egr off the engine, and like eric, i uses o2 censer safe carb cleaner and a small wire brush, and some pipe cleaners and really went to town on it. i also had to take my egr semi apart and give it a good cleaning, my plunger wasn't opening. but i got it, and after a few drive cycles i got it to clear.

oh and the drive cycle for the egr is --> accelerate past 45 mph on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. about 3 times.

Stay back or,
user posted image
get a Snakebite

---
1988 Mazda RX-7 2 Rotors 5spd Rwd
1997 Ford Aspire 1.3L 5speed-- Sold
---

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 22 09 12:31 PM

here is a link, and copied text for the drive cycle for all fords

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

The OBD II Home Page - On-Board Diagnostic System Information
Autotap® OBDII Diagnostic Scanner
Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Description of OBDII Drive Cycle
The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBDII monitors and to clear the Ford P1000, I/M readiness code. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the "OBDII Monitor Exercised" column. When the ambient air temperature is outside 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100° F), or the altitude is above 2438 meters (8000 feet), the EVAP monitor will not run. If the P1000 code must be cleared in these conditions, the PCM must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP monitor can be "bypassed" and the P1000 cleared. The Evap "bypassing" procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

The OBDII Drive Cycle will be performed using a scan tool. Consult the instruction manual for each described function. NOTE: A detailed description of a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset is found in this section, refer to the table of contents.

Drive Cycle Recommendations:

1. Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.
2. Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill with 3/4 fill being the most desirable.
3. The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

WARNING
STRICT OBSERVANCE OF POSTED SPEED LIMITS AND ATTENTION TO DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE MANDATORY WHEN PROCEEDING THROUGH THE FOLLOWING DRIVE CYCLES.

For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:

OBDII Monitor
Exercised

Drive Cycle Procedure
Purpose of
Drive Cycle Procedure

Drive Cycle
Preparation 1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset. Bypasses engine soak timer. Resets OBDII Monitor status.
2. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and TP MODE.
Start vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off.
3. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds. Drive at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) until ECT is at least 76.7°C (170° F).
Prep for Monitor Entry 4. Is IAT within 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100° F)? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass " the Evap monitor and clear the P1000. Engine warm-up and provide IAT input to the PCM.
HEGO 5. Cruise at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) for up to 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.
EVAP 6. Cruise at 72 to 104 Km/h (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: TP MODE should =PT, EVAPDC must be >75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85% Executes the EVAP Monitor (If IAT is within 4.4 to 37.8° (40 to 100°F))
Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.
EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.
SEC AIR/CCM (Engine) 9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.
CCM (Trans) 10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 80 Km/h (o to 50 MPH), continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 64 Km/h (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) , activate overdrive and accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.
Misfire & Fuel Monitors 11. From a stop, accelerate to 104 Km/h (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until 64 Km/h (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.
Readiness Check 12. Access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13. Determines if any monitor has not completed.
Pending Code Check and Evap Monitor "Bypass" Check 13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor.
Note: if the EVAP monitor is not complete AND IAT was out of the 4.4 to 37.8° C (40 to 100° F) temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 2438 m. (8000 ft.), the Evap "bypass" procedure must be followed.
Proceed to step 14. Determines if a pending code is preventing the clearing of P1000.
Evap Monitor "Bypass" 14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP 1. Allow the "bypass" counter to increment to two.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of Ford Motor Company
© Ford Motor Company

Stay back or,
user posted image
get a Snakebite

---
1988 Mazda RX-7 2 Rotors 5spd Rwd
1997 Ford Aspire 1.3L 5speed-- Sold
---

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply