Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 12 10 5:04 PM

Tags : :

the arm that goes from wiper motor to driver side wiper has come off fromdriver side wiper ,you can see it through the vents disconected and moveing back and forth,what keeps it on the wiper,what part do i need to fix this and how do i get in there?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#1 [url]

Jan 12 10 5:32 PM

I seem to remember another member on here having that problem... lemme see what I can search for (search option is your friend btw)

oh and fordaspire/WELCOME.gif

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#2 [url]

Jan 12 10 5:41 PM

wow that one was a toughy, but I found it by searching "wiper" and sifting through the threads lol.

Found in this thread:

http://fordaspire.5.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1316&hl=

Mine did the same thing, it was a friction joint in the linkage that was wornout the first time i took it apart i just restaked it with a punch to tighten it up, but that didnt last long. So i had to replace the wiper linkage, you do it from under the hood, take the three nuts off that hold the motor on, then remove the wiper arms, after removing the arms theres a large nut on each one, remove that nut, then theres a plastic insert that has 3 retaining tabs, you need to insert a small screw driver down into the plastic insert and pry outward to release the mechinism. I ended up snaping off a couple of tabs, but it didnt seem to be a problem when reinstalling everything. Anyway the post that holds the wiper arm just drops down inside then you can pull the whole assembly out thru the hole where the wipir motor was mounted.
I replaced mine with a used one for $8.00, it seems like a new one was over a hundred bucks.
My wiper blades were slaping over the edge of the windshield before and i think thats what caused this broblem, so when i reinstalled the ams i made sure that everything was lined up so that the wiper blades stay on the windshield at all times while traveling back and forth.
Mine is a 94 by the way i dont know if other years are the same good luck.

hope that helps. I always unstick mine and clear the window because I don't want to snap mine off... I've heard of it happening far too often lol.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 12 10 5:49 PM

I've tried to buy just those parts and no deal!

You can buy the entire internal wiper rod set (wiper transmission they call it - as in transmitting the movement to the wipers).

And you can buy the entire motor which comes with the other parts.

Or get used at a wrecking yard.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 20 13 4:06 PM

how to fix without buying a whole arm

I had this issue too.  but now you cannot get the bushing from ford and the arm is like 40 bucks used.  but you can fix pretty easy buy making a new bushing.  next to impossible to find it.

1. get Dorman ford wiper linkage bushing from adv. auto - Part No. 49451
2. it is a little bigger then the hole in the linkage arm.  so you need to shave it down a bit, but leave it a little bigger
3. put the linkage in a vice to hold it and using a grill lighter or plummer's touch, heat up the bushing a little (don't burn it), just so it starts to soften, and work it into the arm hole.  use extra to melt opp side to hold in place.  Also, make sure to put into the hole in the correct direction that it goes onto the wiper motor with.
4. rough up the outside plastic bushing and use epoxy like JB cold weld to cover the whole outside of the bushing and lap it around the arm - basically in case it.  but be sure not to get any in the whole where wiper motor ball goes.
5. paint the outside so the sun will not dry out the bushing like the orig. one
6. put some grease in the ball whole.
7. mark the position of the ball joint to the wiper - how it is mounted.  or skip if you can just pop on when re-installing - I had issues trying to do this, so I took off then installed
8. pop the ball into bushing, then when installing wiper motor, reattach the ball bracket to the motor - lining up the mark you made when you took off.  
9. finish the motor install and test to make sure the wipers start/stop where they should.  if not, you will have to take apart and adjust the ball bracket a bit until it is correct.
this worked for me - good luck

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help