Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 3 10 9:57 AM

Tags : :

I have a 1994 ford aspire that has started to have transmission problems. It is starting to pop out of 4th gear. I am to the point that I want to rebuild the transmission I have some good automotive experiance and I have a good friend who is a mechanic.

I am getting ready to order parts and I just want to make sure that I have everything before I have to pay for shipping again.

I plan to order from here: http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ma...erhaul_kit.html

I will be buying the Master rebuild kit and the Syncro kit. Do I need to buy the Bearings and Metal seals as well?

Thanks

MAHA
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#1 [url]

Nov 3 10 10:33 PM

I believe when I ordered my master kit from them, the bearings where included "at the time". That would be 6 total, 2 on the input shaft, 2 on the output shaft, and 2 on the diff. All 4 seals were in that kit as well, and they're the better seals. The shift shaft seal had the metal lip that catches the edge of the rubber bellows, and the axle seals had that extra extended "dirt rejection lip" on them, which is impossible to get at auto parts stores. You're right about the syncros being seperate though. You can do this job with basic tools, and a gear puller.
For some reason, and this is important, guys get stupid when it comes to removing the bearing on the diff carrier that faces the plastic speedo gear. They try to get the puller in there gently, and then can't get a grip, and then go and trash the speedo gear. Duh!, you're throwing the old bearing away! Trash the old cage, and then grab the bearing at the race lip with the puller, nowhere near the ever-so-rare, almost unreplaceable plastic drive gear! Check with them about the bearing count, the kit may be different now, they're easy to deal with.
By the way, I have a ford factory cd manual that shows how to completely disassemble and reassemble that transaxle...pm me for details. Good luck

The precision is the religion for me!

Quote    Reply   

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#3 [url]

Nov 4 10 5:17 PM

Tearing it down the first time was a slow process, you don't know what to expect.
Having that cd made all the difference in the world though, you take things apart in the correct order with no surprises. I took my time (had no pressure) but I would say maybe 3 hours (that's with cleaning as you go), but taking the gear clusters apart is another thing entirely. You'd have to add more time for that. Now knowing what to expect, it takes me about 1 hour or less (of course you still clean everything).

The precision is the religion for me!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help