Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 14 11 12:54 PM

Tags : :

I just found out I need to replace the CV axle in my 94 aspire and I thought I'd come here for advice.

Here are my questions:
-Cost?
-Work? (how hard)
-Is it worth it?

I'm not sure If I am in over my head here. Just thought I'd get some advice.
Thanks
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

blurple95

Totally Awesome Member

#1 [url]

Mar 14 11 2:00 PM

I bought CV axcles at O'reilly (or was it Advance?) Auto Parts for about 60 a side. Wasn't terribly difficult to swap them out, as long as you get the proper ones.

CV ajoints are just one of those things that wear out on most front wheel drive cars.

President and founding member of the Leave 'Em Stock Society.
Stock Aspires rock!

Just arrived....a NEW batch of FordAspire.com decals! Your choice of silver or white....FREE!
PM me your mailing address and the number and color(s) you want, and I'll get them out ASAP (usually the next day!)
Note: Australian members, please see Glow Mouse for decals

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 14 11 9:00 PM

QUOTE (blurple95 @ March 14, 2011 02:00 pm)
I bought CV axcles at O'reilly (or was it Advance?) Auto Parts for about 60 a side. Wasn't terribly difficult to swap them out, as long as you get the proper ones.

CV ajoints are just one of those things that wear out on most front wheel drive cars.

Is there any sort of write up on it? Never done any axle stuff before. More of an intake/exhaust kind of guy.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 16 11 10:07 AM

Hey samstone. I just just had the cv axles done in my car too. A few recommendations. The cv axles themselves AND the labor (my shop charged me 1 hour labor! mechanic said it was one of the easiest cv jobs he'd ever done) shouldn't cost you more than $150. I think I paid 80 bucks total for my cv axles, just make sure you bring the old ones back for the core refund. I probably could have done the job myself, but for 1 hour labor, I'd highly recommend just having a shop do it If you have a mechanic you can trust, this ones a no brainer when compared with the headache of doing it yourself. I usually recommend to people to do the work themselves and learn about you car etc, but this job, though reletively easy, is a huge pain in the a$$.

Also, make sure you actually need new cv joints. Are they clicking loud esp around corners? If you just want to replace the cv boots due to cracking, you can get a boot kit for cheap and just replace them.

And, I'd recommend not getting your cv axles from carquest. Mine were installed and a month later the boots had split and cracked again.

Best of luck!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Mar 19 11 7:58 PM

Thanks for all the help. I was told by a shop that the boots, CV joints, and CV axles were bad. They quoted me around $550. It seemed a little high...

The clicking is around the corners, both left and right, but it's been there a while according to the previous owner.

Is it better to replace boots, joints and axle?

Thanks again for all the help.

Quote    Reply   

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#6 [url]

Mar 21 11 4:13 AM

550 sounds pretty expensive. But the cost of labor that shops charge is insane anyway. I just did my driver side, the whole axel was 69.99 @ advance. Took me roughly 6 hours, but this was mostly due to the hour long break after bending a prybar in half with my foot trying to pull the axel from the tranny. If your going to do it, you need some tools. A grinder or drill and a slide hammer will come in handy I may do the other side for fun next weekend. Wish I would have saved my old cv joints too, I forgot all about the core refund >.<

2003 chrysler town & country - school bus and grocery getter
1999 mazda 626 - DD till the paintjob's done
1994 ford aspire - down for awhile for paint.

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it."
user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 21 11 7:00 PM

Here in Aus for full shafts there $114 each for a good brand plus you have to give in your old ones. Replacing em was a piece of cake once I got the big socket.
I have a write up on some other website on how to do them. Took me about an hour to replace mine. One thing I did forget to do was put a little graphite grease in the hub/outer cv end. Sometimes they rust together and cause head aches when pulling em apart again.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help