Remove this ad

Lead

May 16 11 8:47 AM

Tags : :

I need to replace the wheel bearings on my aspire 1 front and 1 rear, I read the write up on it but I'm still a little hesitate to tackle it just yet.

Does any of you know if another car like the Ford Fiesta or what not has it to where the bearing is not press fitted, where I could buy just the hub and wheel bearing all as one piece and slap it on.

Or If i where to do it could any of you tell me what exact tools to buy like special tools specific to just changing out bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#2 [url]

May 16 11 11:23 AM

The problem is getting the races in and out of the steering knuckle, I haven't even attempted it, but if you take the bearings out, clean off the races and see if they're scratched or anything. If they're not id just put the new bearings in with the old races still in place.. if they have any scuffs or scratches you really need to change them tho. They can be really tiny scratches and still cause problems so look close.

2003 chrysler town & country - school bus and grocery getter
1999 mazda 626 - DD till the paintjob's done
1994 ford aspire - down for awhile for paint.

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it."
user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#3 [url]

May 16 11 4:20 PM

NEVER use old outer races with new bearings. They are set matched.

Also the outer races are easy as can be, the inners are the ones that have issues coming off the inner hub.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#4 [url]

May 17 11 6:05 AM

QUOTE (nerd racing @ May 16, 2011 04:20 pm)
NEVER use old outer races with new bearings. They are set matched.

Also the outer races are easy as can be, the inners are the ones that have issues coming off the inner hub.

If the Dimensions and specs are the same it shouldn't be a big deal, its not like your putting a new bearing in that has a different angle. I could see a problem with that, but since their all the same for an aspire it shouldn't be an issue unless the old races are worn.

I've been driving for about 3k miles on mixed races/bearings and haven't had any issues.

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it."
user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#5 [url]

May 17 11 4:16 PM

Bearings are sold in sets to fit a tolerance. Even if you have the most expensive grinding machines in the world you won't ever hold parts to the same tolerance every time. Set matched parts are parts that are tested together to meet a certain tolerance. As bad as our wheel bearings can be, why make the situation even more dicey when all you need is a punch and 5 extra minutes to pop the races out and the new ones in? especially if you aren't using the same manufacturer from bearing to bearing.

If you gotta do it, might as well do it the right way.

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#6 [url]

May 18 11 3:55 AM

I love aspire wheel bearings lol, they're so simple and soo much cheaper than having to buy a 70$-140$ hub and bearing assembly lol. They remind me of the skateboards I had as a teenager, I'm still holding out hope for someday finding some abec 7's that'll fit on so my car will roll for dayssss..

user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help