Remove this ad

Lead

May 22 11 12:38 PM

Tags : :

Just bought a 95 aspire- 101,000 miles-it needs 4 tires badly- i noticed 2 tires that were probable in the front and now in the rear have heavy inside tred wear - i also noticed the front end is banging like something is very loose . No signs of front end accident. Any clue what this sounds like. i am taking it in next week to get the oil changed since its cheaper at a local shop to do then it would cost me just for the oil/filter. So far i have filled tank and added seafoam, removed the vac line from the booster and added some seafoam, and placed a bit in the oil . I also bought plugs and a fuel filter but want to replace after the seafoam works in 15 miles or so.

if the noise sounds familiar please let me know and if u recenly had a shop do it what did it cost parts/labor.

Thanks
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#1 [url]

May 22 11 1:29 PM

when your driving down the road maintaining a set speed (35, 55 don't matter) let off the gas for 3-5 seconds, then push down on it just enough to pick rpm's back up to where they were, if it thuds or you feel any jarring it's probably a driveaxel goin out, it should also "click" going around corners..

also, autozone and advance usually have some sort of filter/oil deal going on, 2 weeks ago I snagged a 5 quart oil change jug and a bosch filter for 18.99 for my grandfathers minivan.. best bet is to call each of them that's local to you and just ask for what kinda oil/filter deals they have goin on.. autozone will even suggest you buy a air filter for 2$ off when you check out

if the knocking is just comming from your engine and it's kinda quiet pinging I wouldn't worry about it, it's the lifters knockin, it's normal in small ford engines and will probably go away with an oil change..

2003 chrysler town & country - school bus and grocery getter
1999 mazda 626 - DD till the paintjob's done
1994 ford aspire - down for awhile for paint.

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it."
user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 22 11 2:23 PM

its not an eng knock- it is coming from the front suspension- if its a perfectly smooth road - you hear very little- when the road gets bumps or roughness you hear it like the front end is going to fall off. Their is no cv axle click at all -all wheels are tight .

As far as the autosupply prices- our local tire shop runs a special- 4 tire rotation with up to 5 qts oil ^ filter for 9.99 + 3.00 shop fees- i think its well worth it for 13.99 out the door to let them change the oil and rotate my tires every other visit. They use penzoil from bottles not the bulk like jiffy lubes.

Quote    Reply   

iceracerdude

Ultimate Member

#3 [url]

May 22 11 3:02 PM

It could be a lot of things, including a broken shock or spring. If you can lift the thing up on a jack and place a couple of jack stands or blocks so the whole front end up, you can learn a lot from a visual inspection and just moving the front wheels in and out. Especially if you'll got a helper who can do that while you look.

The precision is the religion for me!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#4 [url]

May 22 11 3:06 PM

that's crazy, definately worth their 20 minutes to change it! lol..

i'd guess then it's probably bad tires, have you looked at the front tires all the way around to see if there's any bumps or wires showing? i'd wait till you get new tires on it and go from there, sometimes you'd be suprised what new tires balanced and a front end alignment will do for a vehicle.. i had about a quarter size bump in a tire on my old lady's minivan where a band had busted and the steering wheel vibrated so hard it was hard to hang onto..

just shooting in the dark here tho, it's hard to troubleshoot something with just "banging like something is very loose" wally world has some 155/13's that do pretty good on these cars for about 35$ a tire installed

2003 chrysler town & country - school bus and grocery getter
1999 mazda 626 - DD till the paintjob's done
1994 ford aspire - down for awhile for paint.

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it."
user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 25 11 4:08 PM

got 2 opinions from the local shops -Bad steering rack - parts ordered - just got my four 155's on today and tues rack and alignment will be done.

It has alot more front end issues but this is the most serious for now.

Quote    Reply   

drewkohls

Advanced Member

#6 [url]

Jun 13 11 8:04 PM

i would say it could be balljoints rusted. i have an inner tie rod end bad, and a new coil on the right side, and when i go over any bumps, it shakes something wicked, and pulls the car to the right and makes a sound like the coil is broken. ive checked everything and the only thing that i can figure now is it has to be the balljoint on mine. ill be changing it after awhile, but ill keep driving it for now.

if money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability. - henry ford

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help