Remove this ad

Cani Lupine

Very Advanced Member

Lead

Nov 8 11 9:16 PM

Tags : :

My timing belt decided to break on me the day before I had an appointment to get my water pump and belt replaced. The motor suddenly stopped while I was going at about 55 MPH on the highway. Right when I felt the motor run rough, I felt something was wrong, and I pressed down the clutch and coasted to a stop, then tried to figure out what happened. I tried to start it up, but it just didn't sound right. So, my wife and I got pushed back some of the way and pushed it ourselves some of the rest.

After not getting to it for a few days, the shop finally got to putting in the new water pump and belt, but there was zero compression. He already checked, and these motors aren't supposed to be interference motors. The mechanic is thinking bad valves, but I'll be going there tomorrow morning to see about pulling it apart and taking a look at what's going on.

Any ideas? I'm stranded without this car and can't even get to work.

EDIT: ... You know, it's probably something stupid simple, like the cam timing being 180* off.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

nerd racing

Grand Master Member

#1 [url]

Nov 10 11 5:05 PM

the motors should not be interference. perhaps his compression tester is the wrong thread pitch and it is not sealing?

"In a perfect world all the geeks get the girls"

1995 Ford Aspire 3 Door Black, (B8 F-series)---> RIP
1997 Ford Aspire 3 Door Teal ---> Sold '08
1996 Ford Aspire 5 door Green ---> Parted wouldn't hold her oil
1994 Ford Aspire 3 door Red ---> Former BP, V6 Swapped... Rusted Out...
1995 Ford Aspire 5 Door Blurple --> Sold '11 No Room...

1989 Ford Festiva L 4 Speed Carby Model --> Soon to be an Abomination!
1990 AWD 5 Speed Mazda Protege Black -->(BP GTX Trans) Daily Driver/Donor Waiting to Happen... Soon to be BP+T

Facebook Me!

Quote    Reply   

Cani Lupine

Very Advanced Member

#2 [url]

Nov 10 11 6:48 PM

I have no idea, but I asked him to reverify that it's bent valves causing the compression leak, and that's what he found. I told him I wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple. So, I'll be taking the car back later this afternoon and stripping it down. I've ordered a rebuilt head and I'll have them set the timing for me, and I'll be putting everything back together.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

zoom zoom

Awesome Member

#3 [url]

Nov 10 11 8:09 PM

That doesn't sound right, did he do a leakdown test all the way across? If you could start your engine like you said then you were getting compression, like nerd said either his tools aren't right or maybe he's taking you for a ride. It's probably just the timing being off if anything, since the belt broke you need to reset everything manually, the cam is probably out of whack and the valves are open/closed/half open when they shouldn't be causing no compression now. I don't see how he can know the valves are actually bent/chewed up if he hasn't even taken the head off yet. You might want to do something different before you spend a couple hundred dollars on a new head and installation.

2003 chrysler town & country - school bus and grocery getter
1999 mazda 626 - DD till the paintjob's done
1994 ford aspire - down for awhile for paint.

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it."
user posted image

user posted image

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Cani Lupine

Very Advanced Member

#5 [url]

Nov 11 11 2:27 PM

He said they made sure all the timing marks were lined up properly. From what I've looked up, it is possible to bend valves on a non-interference engine under certain conditions, just not entirely likely. I guess I just got nailed with some bad luck.

My guess is carbon/junk buildup bridged the gap just enough to cause some contact to bend the valves out of place. I'll be taking photos of the old head and posting them.

user posted image

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 14 11 5:02 PM

Rent a borescope and look at the valves yourself before you blow a bunch of money getting the head R and R'ed.

Borescope has saved me a bunch of time lately. My brother in law has one.

I'd make sure it's not timed 180 degrees out, too...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help